[mythtv-users] Signal strength reported by tuner card?

Russ Van Winkle russ.vanwinkle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 15:49:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> The signal strength and S/N numbers are uncalibrated with the Linux
> DVB drivers. As a  general rule with any one card on any one
> channel, a larger number is better and smaller number is worse.
> The S/N is log(random num) on some cards, a linear value on others,
> an uncalibrated S/N register read on other cards, another name for
> signal strength on other cards, and sometimes completely made up.
> The reason we report those values is for primarily of antenna
> adjustment purposes.
>
> -- Daniel

Is there a resource listing which cards give good information?

I recently added an antenna preamp to my rooftop antenna, and haven't
seen any improvement to the reported signal strength or S/N.  I'm
using the Technisat Airstar HD-5000 under kernel version 2.6.28.

The wiki entry for this card
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Technisat_AirStar_HD-5000) seems to
indicate the card should be giving useful information.

--
Russ D. Van Winkle