[mythtv-users] Signal strength reported by tuner card?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Sep 27 19:33:26 UTC 2009

On Sunday 27 September 2009 12:23:17 Andrew Herron wrote:

> One of the things I notice, irrespective of the DVB tuner used, is that if
> I have an equivalent STB hooked up as a benchmark the DVB card seems to
> always be less sensitive and to deliver a less stable & lower quality
> picture using exactly the same signal. Any insight into why this might be?

There's certainly nothing magic about an STB, they are built with commodity
hardware and, with the exception of some DRM schemes, fairly well-known
software techniques.

I can't see any obvious reason a commercial STB would "always" (be careful
with that word) deliver better results than any other solution that uses
similar hardware and software, unless of course some market force has
intentionally "dumbed down" a non-STB solution.

I doubt that new tuners were designed and built for any STBs, the cost would
be prohibitive. In all probability they use off-the-shelf tuners, the same
ones available to DVB device makers.

Assuming your assertion to be correct (and I have no reason to doubt your
word), I can't see any reason why it should be so.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org