[mythtv-users] Can anyone tell me why Ticket 6382 has been closed?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 20:16:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM, stalks <mythtv-users at stalks.nooblet.org> wrote:
> Marc Randolph wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Can anyone tell me why Ticket 6382
>>> (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6382) has been closed apart from
>>> "patch missing"?
>
> danielk is renouned for unceremoniously closing tickets. I sometimes wonder
> if he even reads the tickets he is closing as there have been a few
> questionable decisions during his time. Its his playground though, got no
> other choice but to play by his rules. Unless you can offer a coded patch to
> adjust as needed not much more help will be offered at trac.

Let's not let this get out of hand.  While it's understandable that
one might get frustrated when a ticket is closed, especially well
after submission, it's important to keep perspective on the human
element here.  There are less than ten active devs and ticket
triagers, and hundreds of tickets.  Things *do* slip through despite
everyone's best efforts, and perhaps more importantly to the
community, we're trying to expand both the ranks of our developers and
our ticket triagers to keep tickets that might otherwise be more
quickly resolved from remaining idle or unnoticed.

Moreover, feature requests *are* being looked at, they're just being
done at a rate that allows the still-small dev contingent to also
manage to deal with real life and still pay the mortgage.  I know that
the developer credo might seem a bit impenetrable, but the truth is a
lot of thoughtful discussion goes on in e-mails and in IRC out of the
general view of many users.  What might seem a summary closing of a
ticket is often backed by deep discussion via one of those mediums.
Yes, maybe it would be nice to be more verbose sometimes, we're trying
madly to get a release out and that means addressing large numbers of
tickets in a short period of time, and sometimes not being able to be
as attentive to people's feelings as we might otherwise be.

As to this ticket, Marc more or less has it right.  The
pre-roll/post-roll is functioning more or less in the expected
fashion, and it is not a bug in the strictest sense (though I'll
acknowledge it's a counterintuitive limitation).  A patch to
accomplish the requested behavior would probably be very happily
accepted.

Could we be better?  Yes.  Are we trying to become better?  Yes.  If I
could make a small request, it would be some understanding from the
folks out there who get up in arms about the treatment of their
tickets.  The devs are largely very approachable, and an angry post
the user's mailing list (where nobody is likely to be aware of the
deepr issues) can "feel" like a "who are you to close my ticket" when
there is usually more at play.  If you (and indeed, us too) can take a
deep breath and approach a post to the dev list or a calmly stated
question on IRC with an open mind, you might find that you end up with
what you want in the end.

Robert