[mythtv-users] Can anyone tell me why Ticket 6382 has been closed?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 27 20:23:00 UTC 2009

On 09/27/2009 03:23 PM, nospam312 wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why Ticket 6382
> (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6382) has been closed apart from
> "patch missing"?
>
> It is a bug from my point of view

Everything is working as designed.  That was not a bug, but a feature
request that was left open only because a couple of the developers
actually wanted to change the historic/designed behavior of the "Time to
record before start of show (in seconds)" and "Time to record past end
of show (in seconds)".

>  but it says patch missing now after
> 6 months sitting their.  Usually "feature requests" are cleared out
> much quicker than that.

Well, in this case, some of the developers are abusing that setting the
same way you are, so they considered writing a patch to do what you wanted.

> I think it is about time someone posts details on when something is
> considered a bug and when something is considered a "feature request
> or whatever"?
>
> What is the point people spending time posting details of bugs if they
> are just ignored for 6 months and then just decided that the bug is
> actually how it is supposed to work or is a feature request?
>
> I do not know how a recording not starting when it should start

It starts when it should.  If you used a proper start early/end late on
the recording rule, it would even start early for you (which is what you
seem to want).

>  can be
> classed as anything else other than a bug - quite a fundamental thing
> for a HTPC!
>
> I get it I have no right to demand someone to fix the problem but I am
> a bit disheartened as time has been spent reporting the problem it
> shouldn't just get thrown out to be forgotten the way it has been.
>
> It puts me off reporting further bugs - I will just leave it to
> someone else to waste their time!

The setting you're using is meant /only/ to allow you to get things
going before the show begins airing--i.e. spin up the hard drive, get
capture card going (firmware loaded/data moving), etc.  If you want to
record some amount of time before the scheduled start time, you need to
use the start early/end late settings on each recording rule (though you
can set a global default which will be applied to all new recording
rules you create).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/150095#150095 (whole
thread)
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/282950#282950