[mythtv-users] Can anyone tell me why Ticket 6382 has been closed?

nospam312 nospam312 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 21:54:02 UTC 2009

> snip

Just to be clear I am an avid MythTV user, think the developers of
MythTV are great and the community is fantastic.  I just want to try
to help out a bit by posting "bugs" but getting a bit disillusioned.

> The setting you're using is meant /only/ to allow you to get things going
> before the show begins airing--i.e. spin up the hard drive, get capture card
> going (firmware loaded/data moving), etc.  If you want to record some amount
> of time before the scheduled start time, you need to use the start early/end
> late settings on each recording rule (though you can set a global default
> which will be applied to all new recording rules you create).

If that is the "proper" use of this option surely it is even more of a
reason to class it as a bug and get it fixed because people are
possibly going to be missing the start of programmes if all this
"setup" is not having the time to happen!

Anyway for me this type of soft padding solution is a must have
feature (even if it is not the "proper" usage) - I do not want 8
tuners in my system when 2 easily do the job fine with soft padding.
For one it is a complete waste of money buying the tuners and the
hardware to support these 8 tuners and running costs.

Perhaps we are lucky here in the UK where most programmes start/finish
on time and the soft padding is a nice to have to catch the occasional
programme starting early or perhaps running a few minutes late due to
a breaking news or something.  Having to setup each rule to start and
finish this way would be madness there would be conflicts galore with
little benefit.

I am going to continue to use it as I have understood it (and probably
the majority of people as they do not read this mailing list) even if
it is not the "proper" usage.  I will just have to put up with the
start padding not working on the 2nd recording on the same tuner.

Hopefully one day someone who knows what they are doing could fix it -
probably unlikely now as it is not in trac anymore.