[mythtv-users] ION Platform with case

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:11:07 UTC 2009

>    Also, these Atom CPUs are extremely weak. Any video you play should
> be hardware accelerated through vdpau even if it is SD content. Without
> vdpau enabled for your particular player/content, these boxes are
> inferior to an AppleTV. XVMC is what makes the AppleTV usable.

I'm not sure which specific models you're referring to when you say "these
Atom CPUs".

For the record, the Zotac ION N330-based boards (zIONs) are leaps and bounds
better than the AppleTV. No hardware acceleration needed.  I have an ATV as
well as a zION330, and I can state as fact that the zION outperforms the ATV
in every situation.  From interface snappiness to network-file scanning
(MythVideo) to SD/HD playback.

I'm still running .21 (since .22 isn't officially out) without VDPAU.
Running everything through software, the zION kicks the ATV's little anemic
butt.  The only thing the ATV has over the zION is the (near) total silence.
My dual-core zION has a fan on it that I haven't bothered to toggle down
yet, but it is noticeable if you're paying attention.