[mythtv-users] ION Platform with case

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Sep 28 16:56:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:11:07AM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:

> >    Also, these Atom CPUs are extremely weak. Any video you play should
> > be hardware accelerated through vdpau even if it is SD content. Without
> > vdpau enabled for your particular player/content, these boxes are
> > inferior to an AppleTV. XVMC is what makes the AppleTV usable.
> >

> I'm not sure which specific models you're referring to when you say "these
> Atom CPUs".

    ...the one in the system I was describing in the bit of text you deleted.

> For the record, the Zotac ION N330-based boards (zIONs) are leaps and bounds
> better than the AppleTV. No hardware acceleration needed.  I have an ATV as
> well as a zION330, and I can state as fact that the zION outperforms the ATV
> in every situation.  From interface snappiness to network-file scanning
> (MythVideo) to SD/HD playback.

    MythTV benefits greatly from the superior video chip and having more
video memory. It also benefits from vdpau acceleration when it's in use.

> I'm still running .21 (since .22 isn't officially out) without VDPAU.
> Running everything through software, the zION kicks the ATV's little anemic

     If I go out of my way to push the system, the N330 falls over before
the ATV will. Raw core speed is about on par between the N330 and the ATV
but the N300 has what appears to be 4 cores. Dunno how that works out with
the hyperthreading and something that could take advantage of it. I would
not expect myth to take advantage of the "4 cores" but I could be wrong.