[mythtv-users] ION Platform with case

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 00:40:31 UTC 2009

>    It's still pretty early yet. I expect that once vdpau support gets
> sorted out in MythTV and all of the other tools that it will be the bee's
> knees. It's just not something you would want to run a commflagging job on.

Again you are selling the Atom short. Several people have reported
that the ION systems can commflag SD recordings in real time, and can
commflag ATSC HD in near real time (~90% speed). I think everybody is
aware that the Atom is a low power CPU in both senses of the word. But
it is not as low powered as you are portraying it. It is quite
capable, especially for its power envelope. And VDPAU is for the most
part sorted out already. They are squashing a few minor bugs in .22
and it is set to be released in the next few weeks. There are a lot of
people on this list using VDPAU with great success. There are
certainly somethings the ION systems aren't going to handle well like
transcoding, commflagging multiple streams, etc. But for frontend
needs it is perfectly capable in the areas that most mythtv users
need.