[mythtv-users] picture freeze

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Sep 29 05:13:58 UTC 2009

On Monday 28 September 2009, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:23:33 -0600
>     > From: Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca>
>     >
>     > This evening I missed most of the first half of Monday Night
>     > Football (via TSN on Shaw Cable in western Canada) (started
>     > recording 1.5 hours before watching) because the picture simply
>     > froze. It unfroze at the beginning of the half-time show and so
>     > far seems ok. This has happened before with TSN. I am wondering if
>     > it's a TSN problem (their feed froze), or a problem with my
>     > machine/database (a tuner is going wonky or something).
>
> This was a total freeze of the video with silent audio, right?

Yes the picture just froze in place, with no audio.

>     > Any ideas or similar experiences?
>
> I have no idea about your showing in particular (I neither watched
> it nor am I in western Canada), but this sort of thing happens very
> frequently on my cable feed.  I'd say that at least once a month
>
> In my case, frozen video is always the provider, but I have a very
> simple setup that records SD from PVR-250's from STB's, so there's

I have had it happen only once before, a few weeks ago, and never before
that in the 3 years my rig has been running. Both on TSN.

I have a PVR-550 on analog SD, so the simplest setup possible I think.

> One thing that made it easy for me to diagnose was that not only did
> I see identical behavior if multiple tuners were staring at the same
> feed (e.g., if it happened during the overlap during back-to-back

I have worked both tuners much much harder than the cases in which I've had
failures. Could be my machine getting crusty after 3 years.

I'll have a look at your script.