[mythtv-users] Is NVIDIA worth the bother?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 20:22:55 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:

>  > And
>>  dealing with the fact that your kernel is officially tainted at that
>>  point.
>
>Is this really a problem if you're not a kernel developer?  To me the
>"taint flag" has always just seemed like one of those political things.

Yes, it's largely a political thing - particularly for personal use.
But if you get into a commercial environment it becomes a bit
different. I run several Linux boxes at work, so if I choose to use
"non free" elements have to consider the terms they are issued under
(some packages have a "no commercial use" restriction).

Personally I'm pragmatic on this (I'm writing this on a mac), but I
know some people are a bit more religous about it. I think Debian
seem to have it about right - by default you will not get anything
but free (so don't have to worry about licence issues), but you have
the option of adding the non-free repository and get the "unpure"
packages in that if you need them.

--
Simon Hobson