[mythtv-users] 0.22 MythVideo slow first time cover art displays

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:51:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Andrew Barbaccia
<andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been noticing a performance issue with trunk on all my boxes including
> my desktop which is a core 2 duo with 4GB of ram (should be sufficient).
>
> The navigation with MythVideo seems to hesitate for ~2 seconds when moving
> between items on occasion. I've narrowed this down to happening only when
> the metadata has recently been updated. I'm guessing it has something to do
> with image scaling / caching, because after the first initial pause, it
> doesn't happen again.
>
> Is this repeatable for other users?

Covered multiple times this month here:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-September/264185.html
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-September/264189.html
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-September/264227.html
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-September/264231.html

> If this is from resolution-specific image caching, can we create an option
> to cache them all in a batch job so that the user experience is smoother? Or
> possibly implement a progress bar and letting the user know what is
> happening?

No.  See above.

> This will def need some dev input down the road, but I left this off the
> -dev list for now since I haven't isolated the problem to be beyond my setup
> just yet.

We're aware of the issue, nothing will likely be done about it in time for .22.

Robert