[mythtv-users] Strreaming Mythtv to Android device?

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:51:45 UTC 2009

Before anyone gets worked up over this, I want to point out a few
limitations I've run up against as I looked at making an iPhone MythTV
client. Essentially, you can do pretty good streaming of static files,
but not of live content. This means that you can transcode a recording
for a device and watch it on the device when it has finished
transcoding. You can't watch anything until it has been completely
transcoded due to the container formats the devices are limited to.
This also means you can't watch live tv.

Apple's HTTP Live Streaming specification would allow for the
streaming that we need for a good MythTV client for mobile devices,
but Apple has crippled the implementation through an unusable UI and
SDK for it (unless you're a big content producer distributing a live
feed to many many devices at once, that's the only scenario that works
well with their implementation).

I don't believe android supports any formats above what the iphone
supports. Support for true mpeg2-ts or mpeg2-ps would work, but
neither have it. However, it's been a while since I last looked at
android, so things might have changed.

Thanks,
Chase Douglas