[mythtv-users] Anyone in UK - Don't forget to do your DVB-T retune today.

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Wed Sep 30 14:57:49 UTC 2009

   Yes, I know this would have significantly more useful before today but I
didn't find the time.

   I'm looking a cobbling together a script that corrects the channel
mplexid/serviceid fields based upon what frequencies are in the dtv_multiple
table and a fresh tzap channels.conf.

   This is, effectively, what I've been doing by hand when the occasional
channel moves around anyway, but I'm using today's bigger changes as the
impetus to automate the process.

   The main reason I don't like using Myth to re-scan is that I've
normalised the channel names to match what I have for my Sky channels, and I
suspect (I have asked but not had a reply) that the re-scanner will use the
channel names (as set from the scan) to tie things together, so I presume
I'd just get loads of *new* channels instead of fixing my existing ones.

   I have a number of questions, then:

- What has people's experience been with re-scanning?  Do you keep the
off-air channel names as they were originally set (ugly all-caps and all)?

- Has no-one already done this?  Or will anyone want it if I do it?

- Are the changes today so significant that I'll be wasting my time¹?

- What's up with the anticipated forced re-scan for 0.22?

¹ - in detail:  my dtv_multiplex table can uniquely ID mplexes by frequency
(the big number).  This number also appears in the ztap output for each
channel.  So, presuming I can tie my existing channels to a channel in the
tzap output (I'll create an xmltvid-offairname mapping), for each channel in
the tzap output that is one I am using, I shall update the channel table's
entry 'mplexid' to be the one with the matching frequency in my dtv_multiple
table, and the channel's 'serviceid' to be the value from the same line
(it's the final one for my tzap) on the tzap output.

   IYSWIM.

   At least, this is the rough process I follow by hand at the moment, and
is what I'll be doing tonight for channels 1-5, which are the only ones
scheduled for use before the W/E.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature