[mythtv-users] Re : expansible and powersaving motherboard for backend??

Manu eallaud at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 23:59:11 UTC 2009

Le 30/09/2009 13:26:34, Raymond Wagner a écrit :
> On 9/30/2009 09:17, Manu wrote:
> > I am looking for a good motherboard with ideally: 2 gbit network,
> sata
> > (not too much 2 is ok, 4 is perfect), and a couple CPU/Chipset very
> > quiet and using very little power (I guess atom would be perfect),
> plus
> > I'd need at least 1 or 2 PCI and 1 or 2 PCI-e slots as I plan to
> put
> > all my tv cards in it so that I dont have to run sat and tv cable
> all
> > around the house.
> >
> Why do you need two network interfaces? Is this going to function as
> your internet router as well?

Well that would be nice but I do not desperately need it ;-)

> It is hard to find a modern board with less than 4 SATA ports.
>
> If you want an Atom board with multiple expansion slots, you are
> going
>
> to be sorely disappointed.  Intel tried to mandate that Atom boards
> only
> have one single PCI slot.  I've seen boards with one PCIe x16, or one
> mini-pcie, but never more than one slot.  You would have to get by
> with

Yes I have seen only mini-itx board with just one slot, which way too
little if you want to put several tv cards.

> USB and network attached tuners.  The better option would just be to
> buy
> a low end C2D or AthX2.  If you're really concerned about power
> consumption, you can undervolt/underclock those machines into the
> same
>
> operating range of an Atom system (20-40W).

OK I did not you could go that route to save that much, hmm I guess the
board then needs to be tweakable (BIOS might be an issue here I guess).
Thx
Manu