[mythtv-users] Harmony 890 Wireless Extender

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Thu Apr 1 01:29:40 UTC 2010

On 30/03/2010 11:06 PM, Eric Yanush wrote:
> />>>/  do we can help.
> />>>/
> />>/  I am following the ideas outlined here:
> />>/  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Wireless_Extender
> />>/     and here:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup
> />>/
> />>/  I am basically connecting the ir blaster to a serial port, via a db9
> />>/  to 3.5mm stereo which connects the extender to the mythbox.
> />>/
> />>/  It seems to be that it is not receiving consistent signals from the
> />>/  extender, and I not sure if it was a driver bug or a connection
> />>/  problem or something else.
> />>/
> />I see. I have not tried this. I assume you used the suggest lircd.conf
> >file? Aside from generating a good pattern I assume you verified the
> >signal quality on the wire. You can also go below irw using mode2 to see
> >what is coming in raw to lircd.
>

> Thanks for the fast reply!
>

> I am using the suggested lircd.conf file, and I am actually using ubuntu karmic, but that matters not.
> >However, and I know this isn't what you are asking, but rather than
> >going this route I would consider simply getting a Veris Basic receiver.
> >They are about US$30 and aside from receiving the IR codes they have the
> >added benefit of being able to power up the system when it is off. Very
> >nice when you put the case in the closet as one of mine is. You then
> >tell the Harmony to emulate say the iMon RM200 (or any other iMon you wish).
>
> >Since you are on Knoppmyth/LinHes, the how-to is at:
> >http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20754
> >If you are still on R5.5 then there is a link to that how-to from the
> >above how-to.
> As far as the antec basic, I already have an antec elite, which is the
> antec basic with an integrated VFD, and I am finding the ir reciever
> does not receive the signal from a good off angle. So one of the
> reasons I bought the 890 was because it does RF(non-line of sight) and
> I could Directly connect the Rf receiver to my mythbox and bypass the
> antec ir receiver, eliminating the limit on the number of codes I can
> use, as my antec does onboard ir decoding, so as far as I understand
> it is limited to the codes that the original remote has.
yes, it is limited to the total iMon IR code set which is reasonably
extensive. It is not limited to the remote that came with the receiver.
You are correct in that the IR receiver on the iMons are not sensitive
when the signal comes in from an angle. However with the Harmony 890's
blaster the IR transmitted has a shroud which will put the signal dead
on. With my Veris basic the signal has been 100% accurate. I have an
Antec Fusion which also has the receiver and LCD display. It has issues
with angular reception so I have another 890 now which I plan to use as
I do with the basic and eliminate the issue altogether.
> The only thought that occurred to me today is that after you mentioned
> the bit about extending the IR blasters, and the Extender not having
> enough juice to allow the extension, I realized that right now I have
> about 26ft of wire between the Extender and my serial port, so maybe
> that is the issue. As when I am trying to generate an lircd.conf using
> irrecord it seems as though it is not recieving a consistent signal.

Sounds like the issue. As I mentioned before you could also use mode2
("/usr/bin/mode2") to see the raw codes as they come in.