[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 350 and LIRC setting up

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 1 04:54:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Marc Chamberlin
<marc at marcchamberlin.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion Jarod - I haven't gotten as far as getting mythtv
> configured for running from a remote yet... Trying to take baby steps to get
> there, so right now I am focused on getting the lirc daemon to at least
> recognize the key presses from my Hauppauge remote... And so far, using
> either ircat or irw I can only see that it is responding to just the numeric
> and volume up/down keys. None of the other keys, for example channel up/down
> produce any response yet...

You're using ir-kbd-i2c, which converts the key presses into standard
input layer events, the same as you'd receive from a keyboard. lircd
can be set up to capture these, but the easier thing to do is probably
just switch to using lirc_i2c.

> (This project will get even more interesting too... I got two other remotes
> that I am going to want lirc to handle for me as well, but one remote at a
> time....)

Depends on the receiver and its capabilities whether or not that will work.

>> ...your dmesg output shows ir-kbd-i2c binding to the ir receiver, not
>> lirc_i2c. That makes a significant difference. The
>> lircd.conf.hauppauge config file is for use with lirc_i2c. For
>> ir-kbd-i2c, assuming the key map is correct for your remote, you'd
>> need to use lircd.conf.devinput, and tell lircd to use its devinput
>> driver mode pointed at the appropriate /dev/input/foo, rather than
>> using its default driver mode (lirc kernel driver) pointed at
>> /dev/lirc0.
>>

> Ok now you lost me! And I apologize for my beginners ignorance.  What is a
> key map?

A table inside the driver that maps a decoded IR signal to a valid
linux kernel input layer key, such as KEY_VOLUMEUP.

> Is that the .lircrc file that I have to set up for mythTV?   Over
> in the /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput directory I found a file named
> lircd.conf.devinput, is this the file I should copy to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf?

Neither, see above. But you'd also need this in place as well if you
were to stick with the ir-kbd-i2c method, to remap the keys to lirc
events. Multiple layers of redirection, good fun! :)

> I am using SuSE 11.2 which comes with a tool called YaST

I know and loathe it. :)

(although it undoubtedly sucks at lot less than when I was doing lots
of sles work over 4 years ago now).

> that has a utility
> to configure the TV card and part of that sets up the configuration for the
> lirc daemon. This configuration file is located at /etc/sysconfig/lirc  and
> I noted that YaST configured the LIRC_MODULE="ir_kbd_i2c" but it sets the
> LIRCD_DRIVER="/dev/lircd"   Under /dev I see a link for lircd ->
> /var/run/lirc/lircd and  under /dev/input I see a number of devices (event0
> event1 ... event7 ir (ir is a link to event7) mice mouse) and sub
> directories (by-id by-path) whose purpose I don't comprehend....  Should I
> point the LIRCD_DRIVER to one of these?

Hrm. /dev/lircd is the lircd daemon socket. The lircd driver you'd
need to use is 'devinput', and the lircd device you'd need to use is
'/dev/input/something'. I sense yast fail.

What I'd do is use lirc_i2c instead of ir-kbd-i2c, with the
lircd.conf.hauppauge you already have, and all the lircd defaults for
driver, device and socket should all Just Work.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com