[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 350 and LIRC setting up

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Thu Apr 1 21:03:00 UTC 2010

On 3/31/2010 9:54 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Marc Chamberlin
> <marc at marcchamberlin.com>  wrote:
>

>> Sorry for the confusion Jarod - I haven't gotten as far as getting mythtv
>> configured for running from a remote yet... Trying to take baby steps to get
>> there, so right now I am focused on getting the lirc daemon to at least
>> recognize the key presses from my Hauppauge remote... And so far, using
>> either ircat or irw I can only see that it is responding to just the numeric
>> and volume up/down keys. None of the other keys, for example channel up/down
>> produce any response yet...
>>
> You're using ir-kbd-i2c, which converts the key presses into standard
> input layer events, the same as you'd receive from a keyboard. lircd
> can be set up to capture these, but the easier thing to do is probably
> just switch to using lirc_i2c.
>

>> (This project will get even more interesting too... I got two other remotes
>> that I am going to want lirc to handle for me as well, but one remote at a
>> time....)
>>
> Depends on the receiver and its capabilities whether or not that will work.
>

>>> ...your dmesg output shows ir-kbd-i2c binding to the ir receiver, not
>>> lirc_i2c. That makes a significant difference. The
>>> lircd.conf.hauppauge config file is for use with lirc_i2c. For
>>> ir-kbd-i2c, assuming the key map is correct for your remote, you'd
>>> need to use lircd.conf.devinput, and tell lircd to use its devinput
>>> driver mode pointed at the appropriate /dev/input/foo, rather than
>>> using its default driver mode (lirc kernel driver) pointed at
>>> /dev/lirc0.
>>>

>> Ok now you lost me! And I apologize for my beginners ignorance.  What is a
>> key map?
>>
> A table inside the driver that maps a decoded IR signal to a valid
> linux kernel input layer key, such as KEY_VOLUMEUP.
>

>> Is that the .lircrc file that I have to set up for mythTV?   Over
>> in the /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput directory I found a file named
>> lircd.conf.devinput, is this the file I should copy to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf?
>>
> Neither, see above. But you'd also need this in place as well if you
> were to stick with the ir-kbd-i2c method, to remap the keys to lirc
> events. Multiple layers of redirection, good fun! :)
>

>> I am using SuSE 11.2 which comes with a tool called YaST
>>
> I know and loathe it. :)
>
> (although it undoubtedly sucks at lot less than when I was doing lots
> of sles work over 4 years ago now).
>

>> that has a utility
>> to configure the TV card and part of that sets up the configuration for the
>> lirc daemon. This configuration file is located at /etc/sysconfig/lirc  and
>> I noted that YaST configured the LIRC_MODULE="ir_kbd_i2c" but it sets the
>> LIRCD_DRIVER="/dev/lircd"   Under /dev I see a link for lircd ->
>> /var/run/lirc/lircd and  under /dev/input I see a number of devices (event0
>> event1 ... event7 ir (ir is a link to event7) mice mouse) and sub
> [...]
Thanks again Jarod for your thoughts/help...  I took the plunge and
removed the ir-kbd-i2c kernel module and installed the lirc-i2c and
lirc-dev modules. Double checked the /etc/sysconfig/lirc
/etc/lircd.conf and my .lircrc files and to the best of my understanding
they seem correct.  If you like I could attach them and send them in to
be looked over...  I then restarted the lirc daemon and no joy!  Now
nothing from my remote is being recognized by any of the aforementioned
utilities..

Thoughts?    Marc..