[mythtv-users] OT: Audio components

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Apr 2 20:57:56 UTC 2010

> > I'm trying to design an audio system for a restaurant, and they want 3
> > zones of mono sound.  I'm looking for something that I could input stereo
> > audio, and output 3 mono signals that combines the stereo input from a
> > netbook running iTunes.  I'm planning to use 3 "V-12M Muting Wall Mount
> > Volume Control" units
> > from(
> http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=37244640&source=ecostdeal&cm_mmc=CSE-
> > _-Shopping.com-_-ecostdeal-_-Electronics) to independently adjust the
> > volume in the three zones (back room, front room, outside).  My plan is
> > find a home theater 5.1 surround system that I can set to output a mono
> > signal to at least 3 of the channels, and then run them through the
> > independent volume
>

> How many speakers per zone ?
>
> Because if it's just three speakers, any old-school amp with a mono switch
> and dual speaker outs would work (2 stereo outputs = 4 mono speakers).
>
> If this is your standard small mom-and-pop shop where you typically see a
> beat-up old stereo behind the register, then you're set;
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350334276696
>
> If it's anything bigger -- well, they are cheap, buy two for when it blows
> out. :-) (However, I have a similar model to this one, and it's a great
> amp,
> complete with talkover mike. In fact my Myth system is connected to it).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Rrl8AY2ahsR/learn/learningcenter/home/multiroom_diagrams.html
&
http://www.crutchfield.com/Learn/learningcenter/home/multiroom_power.html?page=6
has some great descriptions for doing a setup like you want using a standard
receiver.

You will need impedance matching volume controls like:
http://www.amazon.com/Systems-IWIMP100WVW-Control-Impedance-Matching/dp/B000GF7RWS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270241203&sr=1-2
for each channel.

The connecting block is unnecessary, just run all the wires back to the amp,
or combine them with a wire nut.  the block is just for a cleaner look.

I still think my $100 solution was just as easy, but I suppose it doesn't
give independent volume controls for each room that this more expensive
option would allow.