[mythtv-users] The dreaded pre-buffering pause

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Apr 3 02:46:26 UTC 2010

On 04/02/2010 09:42 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Newbury wrote:
>> It is not using xvmc so either you have not selected an xvmc playback
>> profile or xvmc is not running. You need at least the intel-2.9.1
>> version driver plus the correct setup including XvMCComfig file. Grep
>> your Xorg.0.log file for "Motion" to see if it is enabled. Details on
>> the wiki.
> HAH! For one thing, I had version 2.9.0, but more importantly, it was
> being built without XvMC support.... Xorg.0.log looked fine, it looked
> as if XvMC was there, but apparently it was disabled in the driver. At
> least now I have a clue. :-)

I'll send you a bill on Monday!!!

The driver has xvmc supported built in but it has to be enabled in
xorg.conf. The 2.9.1 version is in the F12 and latest Ubuntu repos, and
is likely in the rest of the major distros.

Unfortunately, the 'no xorg.conf' install we get today doesn't enable
XvMC so you will have to build an xorg.conf file with at least the magic
bits.

There is an xvmcinfo program but I have just discovered that it does not
work against an x86_64 install. However a quick

yum install xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.9.1-1.fc12.i686

will install the i686 driver, and the dependencies, so that xvmcinfo
will run. (xvmcinfo is the program at the bottom of the wiki
mythtv-hardware-xvmc page). I *think* that xvmcinfo *needs* the i686
libIntelXvmC, but Xorg (according to Xorg.0.log) is happy with the
/usr/lib64/ version. XvMCConfig points to the latter libIntel...etc. file.

I just did an upgrade to x86_64 on the laptop which has the intel video
chip, so I don't have a current 'top' number, but on my old laptop, it
had an appreciable affect.

Geoff