[mythtv-users] Hauppage HD-PVR Driver, MythTV, or not enough grunt...

Troy Telford ttelford.groups at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 03:07:43 UTC 2010

It works great when it's hooked up to my MacBook Pro (Running OS X & Using EyeTV).  While somewhat cool, it's hard to record TV that's on while I'm not home, as I take the MacBook with me.

So, I decided to set up MythTV on one of my Linux boxen.  I run Debian (sid), so the drivers that are pre-compiled are pretty current.  In fact, it required pretty much zero effort to get my HD-PVR driver installed & working (all I had to do was plug in the USB cable).  In fact, it made me nostalgic for the days where you have to fight to get anything to work in Linux...

However, not all is well in Linuxville...  If I do a simple 'cat /dev/video0 > testvideo.mpeg", I get the exptected video stream. I then played it in VLC - and the result was gorgeous.  (Well, as gorgeous as you can expect from "ice road truckers"... but I digress...)

When I use MythTV, I'm problems with the video stuttering - more or less on a 2-3 second cycle.  It runs, gets worse, stops, and continues.  It does appear that both cores on my MythTV box are getting 100% utilization - though I"m not sure if that's because the cores are actually getting used, or if it's just that I don't have "enough" CPU to both record and watch TV.  (Because playback of a recording _outside_ of MythTV seems to work great).

Since MythTV is new to me, I just wanted to see if MythTV normally used up 100% of the CPU, whether it needs it or not (I've seen programs like that), or if it's just that I don't have enough "grunt" (or in other words, enough CPU, given I'm running 1080p video and have a Core2 Duo @ 2GHz.)

Thanks.
--
Troy Telford
ttelford.groups at gmail.com