[mythtv-users] cracking on some DTS tracks

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 07:05:43 UTC 2010

Hi

On Sunday, April 4, 2010, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 09:59 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 4 April 2010 04:19, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have some movies with DTS soundtracks giving me cracking sounds on
>> top
>> > of the proper soundtrack.
>> >
>> > Not all...
>> >
>> > Looking at the archives did not provide me with a working solution.
>> >
>> > The MythTV system uses the on-board sound chips and is connected to
>> > DTS-capable receiver from Yamaha using an optical S/PDIF cable.
>> >
>> > Any offers on solutions ar things to explore?
>>
>> Did you activate the software volume by any chance ?
>
> I have check.
>
> NO, I am not using it, MythTV is not controlling the volume.
>
> (but when I turn it on, I get a sound with no pops and cacks, just not
> DTS anymore, so it looks like the DTS data is clean and can be decoded)

when checked, the DTS track is decoded, volume change is applied and
the stream is re-encoded as AC3.

A DTS track is sent as-is to the amplifier if DTS passthrough Is checked.

So if you're hearing any sound distortion. It must come from your amplifier.

>> Your Yamaha what does it show as receiving DTS or AC3 ?
>
> YES, nice DTS logo is there.

so it definitely comes from your amp.

Passthrough is just that. Pass through.

Jean-Yves