[mythtv-users] Maximum length of cables for USB<>Serial DirecTV control?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Apr 4 22:21:49 UTC 2010

Scott Harris wrote:
> Howdy all,
>     I've got three DirecTV STBs, all working great either via
> the built in mini RJ-22 or the USB<>Serial connections.  They are
> all connected with fairly short cable lengths, < 2-3 feet.  I'm
> trying to un-tether the 3 STBs from the mythtv backend system,
> mainly to seperate them due to heat building.
>
> I've read the various specs for USB cable lengths, and it seem that
> going the 25-30 feet I need to go shouldn't be an issue, so long as
> I'm willing to get better grade cable or add some sort of powered
> repeater hub in the middle.

The limit is 14 feet and the signal is digital.  It either gets there or
not.  There is no difference in quality.

I use some repeaters with pretty good luck.  I have 4 repeaters (I think
- it's been a while) and a hub on the end.  You need a quality powered
hub; I went through a few before I found the one that works.

Most things work fine.  I have 2 DVD players, a bluetooth keyboard, and
a few other things that work fine.

A USB sound card failed to work.  My Sansa mp3 player connects but fails
to transfer.  So some things will work, some won't.

> Does anyone have any real world proof that this distance would work?
> Is it even feasible with the type of "USB" connections the STBs have?
> Is there possibly a better, wireless solution?  I've never been too
> keen on the wireless stuff, as it would mean some type of non direct
> wired connection, which would reduce reliability.
A single repeater shouldn't give you any problems.

--Yan

--

   o__