[mythtv-users] Watching recordings on trip?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 11:30:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I occasionally travel for business and, while I can copy MythTV
> recordings to my laptop, I need the laptop to run Windoze.
>
> Windows Media Player doesn't seem to be able to play the copied
> recordings, and the Intervideo player I have installed is nowhere near
> as nice as the MythTV internal player.

I use to travel a lot at my last job.  I setup my work laptop to dual
boot between the company's MS windows partition and a Linux partition
I put on.  I installed a full copy of MythTV.  Then I would just
export the shows I wanted to bring from my main MythBox and import
them onto the laptop.  That way I could get full MythTV functionality
(commercial skipping, bookmarking etc.).  I also had other uses for
the linux partition, not just MythTV.

Of coarse this requires your IT department to be okay with you
repartitioning the hard drive and installing your own OS.

-Ryan