[mythtv-users] [Mostly OT] Comcast/net neutrality ruling - NY Times Online

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 6 20:24:42 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 01:59:26 pm Mark Knecht wrote:

> Members of Congress have expressed concern that the acquisition could
> give Comcast the power to favor the content of its own cable and
> broadcast channels over those of competitors, something that Comcast
> has said it does not intend to do. Now, members of Congress could also
> fret that Comcast will also block or slow down customers’ access to
> the Web sites of competing television and telecommunications
> companies.

Saying you "do not intend" to do something is not the same as saying you will
not do it.

I'm certain that if it would garner them a penny of additional profit (or even
if they just thought it might), they would do it in a micro-second.

> In a statement, the F.C.C. said it remained “firmly committed to
> promoting an open Internet.” While the court decision invalidated its
> current approach to that goal, the agency said, “the court in no way
> disagreed with the importance of providing a free and open Internet,
> nor did it close the door to other methods for achieving this
> important end.”

The problem is the FCC's mandate concerns the "public airwaves", and the
internet is neither public, nor in general airwaves.

I would think that the anti-monopoly laws would preclude Comcast's intentions,
FCC or not, but corporate America seems to think that monopolies are a good
thing.

Allowing Comcast to purchase NBC should be totally illegal, but we all know it
will happen.