[mythtv-users] 0.21 and 0.22 servers on the same network?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 16:38:22 UTC 2010

Is there any problem with running both 0.21 and 0.22 servers on the
same network? I know that 0.21 frontends can upset the 0.22 database
so I won't change any settings on the existing 0.21 frontends and they
will continue to only use the old server. I'm hoping they won't try to
automatically access the newer 0.22 server.

I'm bring up new 0.22 server hardware. I'll stop any new recordings on
the older 0.21 machine, dedicate the HDHR to the new server, and then
give the family a way to watch each one separately using different
front ends for a month. (PCs get 0.22 - stand along frontend machines
continue with 0.21) There aren't any recordings that we want to
transfer from the old server so after a month hopefully everyone will
have watched anything they care about and I'll put the old Mac Mini
server out to pasture.

Are there any problems doing the 0.22 upgrade this way? I already know
my 0.21 database would need some sort of conversion to go to 0.22. I
don't want to deal with that based on the pain it seems others have
had on the list. I'd rather just throw away any old stuff after awhile
and let the 0.22 machine start completely new and fresh.

Thanks in advance,
Mark