[mythtv-users] 0.21 and 0.22 servers on the same network?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 8 03:46:22 UTC 2010

On 04/07/2010 09:27 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>> I /think/ it's also possible that you may have an issue on an
>> already-configured system when the database server specified by
>> mysql.txt/config.xml is not running and the application tries to fall back
>> to UPnP to find the backend and its database (since it assumes you moved
>> it).  That leads to http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7799 .  But, again, in
>> an interactive environment, it will always prompt before doing anything.
>>
> And if it's prompting Michael Dean then it gets the right answer. If
> it prompts a 7 year old boy who wants his cartoons then potentially
> the database gets messed up? Not acceptable to me but that's just me.
> If that even happens which we both think is a *might* but not sure
> that it really can.
>
> Anyway, on my network I don't want it running and the software has
> given me a way to do that so I'm happy. What others do is totally up
> to them.

The point is UPnP isn't the issue.  It's your computer being in a state
where it's falling back to UPnP that's the issue.  And, whatever caused
that issue, you're likely to have problems whether you have UPnP enabled
or not.

I.e. if your system is /ever/ properly configured--with a valid
mysql.txt or config.xml--and your start scripts do the job of ensuring
you /never/ start mythbackend until the appropriate mysqld is running,
you'll /never/ have a problem.  If either of those 2 prerequisites for
using mythbackend isn't met, there's a good chance you'll be using those
database backups, whether you have UPnP enabled or not.

Mike