[mythtv-users] SAA7146 'budget' PCI

mat mat at lessermatters.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 09:26:57 UTC 2010

Hi there MythTv'ers,

I'm trying to get a Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 based 'budget' PCI card
working alongside my NOVA-T-500-DualTuner in MythTV 0.21 on Debian Etch
(kernel 2.6.22.19)

It appears I require a firmware file, this  I have:

dvb-fe-tda10046.fw (24478)
dvb-fe-tda10045.fw (30555)

in /lib/firmware

If I modprobe budget_ci budget_core tda tda1004x, then the device node
gets created just fine but the logs don't mention the above firmware. My
understanding is that a cold-boot is required to load the firmware again,
which suggests to me that the firmware is loaded and all is cool. Except
it's not as MythTV "cannot access card", when I attempt to set it up with
the Mythtv-setup.

Is there a way of forcing the firmware to be reloaded?
Is it even neccesary, as the dev node is created?
How can I determine why Myth fails to access card?

I was hoping that I could try some stuff here at work (via ssh, no X).

I would really like to get this working as the Analog TV's been switched
of here now, so my server will get some more usage.

Any ideas, gratefully recieved.

mat