[mythtv-users] What to replace the AppleTV - but with?

Eric Yanush yanush2e at uregina.ca
Fri Apr 9 05:06:54 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-08, at 10:57 PM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

> From: "MarcT" <myrdhn at gmail.com>
> Date: April 8, 2010 8:28:59 PM CST
> To: "'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] What to replace the AppleTV - but with?
>

>> This late in the game, I would wait a few more weeks until the atom/ion2
>> system from zotac is released.
>>

> http://zotac.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=100033&lan
>> g=en
>

> Do you have pricing and availability on these?
> Are referring to the ZBOX? Are these all not available (seems like the
> same machine with different features)?
>

> --
> Brad Fuller
> +1 (408) 335-0112
>
> According to engadget $239 for the barebones edition, which will require you
> to add your own hard drive, memory and OS.
> As for the rest of the ZBoxes I don't know is that the ZBOX HD-ID11 was
> announced at CeBIT. From what I am finding, all the ZBoxes were introduced
> at CeBIT.
> This is the press release for the HD-ID11, this is the only one that will
> have the ION2 from what I can see.
> http://zotac.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=489:next-gener
> ation-zotac-zbox-redefines-mini-pcs&catid=1&Itemid=268
>
> MarcT

I have ubuntu karmic running on my apple tv, it is my secondary frontend, and I wouldn't trade it for the world since it got the CrystalHD upgrade.
If I were you I would seriously consider the CrystalHD card. Right now I am using it with XBMC trunk and it makes an excellent frontend, especially since it is in my bedroom it is literally silent, with low power consumption, and slick looks, it scored a high WAF.

Just my 0.02,

Eric