[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22 on Lucid 10.04

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Apr 9 05:27:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 15:04 +1000, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Problem is that I forgot I was using a bluetooth keyboard so about
> 90% of
> > the way through the upgrade a dialogue box re. some postgres setting
> pops
> > up. Yup my bluetooth keyboard had been
> > disconnected through the upgrade procedure and I was dead in the
> water.. it
> > wouldn't even accept a usb keyboard to let the process finish.
>
> It's too late now of course, but I wish you asked the list about
> getting into the box - I would've been glad for the chance to help you
> out :-)
> If it happens again, you can run x11vnc over ssh then VNC to the box
> and control it remotely. Assuming your X is on ":0" it'd be something
> like:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install x11nc; DISPLAY=:0 screen -d x11vnc

Or simply perform the do-release-update inside a screen session that you
can recover in many ways.

Also, an interrupted upgrade can always be recovered, even after a
reboot, it just involves a bit of manual package cleanup after the fact.

If the system is in such a state that it doesn't reboot, boot on a live
CD, mount the local disks on the side, chroot into that, restart the
upgrade, finish it, exit the chroot, unmount, reboot normally.

Nico