[mythtv-users] Dropping video frames?

James Thorpe james at tfxsoft.com
Fri Apr 9 17:30:01 UTC 2010

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM, James Thorpe <james at tfxsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've got an issue (both under 0.22-fixes and also 0.23-RC1 after upgrading
>> last week) whereby the picture isn't smooth.  It's not stuttering - the
>> sound is fine - it almost looks like it's dropping frames to keep up.  I
>> don't see anything in the frontend log, and it's constantly happening, not
>> on and off.  Happens on all channels, both HD (BBC HD on freesat) and SD.
>>
>> I'm using a Revo 3600 with 2gb of RAM (512mb configured for video) and
>> VDPAU.  Happens on both Slim & Normal profiles.  Videos are coming from a
>> remote backend over a 100mbs wired network with little other traffic.
>>
>> Just wondering where I should start looking to diagnose what may be the
>> issue, or if there are any custom filters etc I should try that may help?
>>  This seems to be the final thing holding back full acceptance of Myth in
>> our house!
>>

> Is it a mismatch between your screen refresh rate (possibly 60Hz) and
> your frame rate (PAL/25 which works nicer on 50Kz refresh)
>
> (assuming PAL if you are watching BBC/Freesat)

It does seem like this could be the cause - my TV is reporting it's
running @ 60hz.  However, whenever I try to change the settings to 50hz,
they don't seem to "stick".  I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10 - I've tried
setting it both in the nvidia display widget and the xfce settings
manager->display.  Each time I reload them they revert back to previous
settings and the TV stays at 60hz.

James.