[mythtv-users] Comcast DVR - pulling recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 9 19:35:35 UTC 2010

On Friday 09 April 2010 01:12:24 pm mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> My Comcast signals were encrypted, bye bye clear QAM (still have broadcast
> HD).
>
> Trying to figure out how to make value of Myth for PVR functionality now.
> I'll need a Comcast STB for some signal decoding... trying to figure out
> the merits of taking the Comcast DVR versus a Comcast STB and investing in
> some other card/IR combo... (I'm in the processing of selling my very
> functional HDHR dual tuners).
>
> What are ppl in similar situation doing with this kind of decision?  At
> this point, my Myth kit doesn't have much value for PVR.  (yes, music,
> movies, pictures are all still wonderful benefits of Myth).

I use an HD-PVR to record the component output of a DISH receiver. Should work
with a cable STB. Any of the analog capture devices should be able to grab the
SD out of the DTB as well.

I just saw a DISH ad on TV (was watching CNN live). It simulated a meeting of
all the TV suppliers. I loved it when someone asked where the cable TV rep
was, then someone said "He'll be here sometime between 12 and 5".