[mythtv-users] Yet another Fedora 12 lirc_serial question

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 04:42:26 UTC 2010

>> Also, just to
>> confirm, we don't need lirc kmdl packages any more with Fedora 12,
>> correct?
>
> Correct.

OK, so I don't need any kmdl packages because the lirc drivers are in
the Fedora 12 kernels. But I still can't get this to work. Should I be
seeing any lirc entries in lsmod if the drivers are in the kernel -
I'm assuming not (and I don't)?

I've ensured that MythTV is using /var/run/lirc/lircd as the lirc device.

This is my /etc/sysconfig/lirc file:
LIRCD_OPTIONS=""
LIRC_DRIVER=""
LIRC_DEVICE=""
ENABLE_LIRCMD="no"
LIRCMD_OPTIONS="

I have nothing in /dev like lirc or lirc0 etc. No lirc devices at all.
I'm wondering if that's my problem. Do I need to do something with
udev to get these files set up at boot time? I created a file called
/etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules but got a message on boot that it didn't
like the file:
KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", NAME="lirc%n", MODE="0660", GROUP="lirc"
KERNEL=="lirc0", SYMLINK="lirc"

When I run mode2 I get this error:
mode2: could not get file information for /dev/lirc0
mode2: default_init(): No such file or directory

When I look in mythfrontend.log I see this which lulled me into
thinking that I'd cracked this, but sadly not:
2010-04-11 14:25:40.867 LIRC: Successfully initialized
'/var/run/lirc/lircd' using '/home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc' config,

Can anyone suggest what else to try as I seem to have exhausted all
the options I could find!

Regards,
Phill