[mythtv-users] Biggest Mythtv setup

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Apr 11 10:25:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 11:13 +0100, Richard Morton wrote:

> >> All recordings vary.
> >> For example:
> >> A 1 hour SD recording made on my PVR-500 is about 2.2G (Analog
> Capture).
> >> This would be on par with your 2 hour recording.
> >> A 1 hour SD recording made by my HD-5000 is about 900 MB (Digital
> >> Capture).
> >> A 1 hour HD recording made on my HD-5000 varies from about 3G (SD
> show on
> >> HD channel, black bars on the sides) to about 5G (720p HD
> recording) to
> >> about 8G (1080p HD recording). The 720p HD capture would be on par
> with
> >> the
> >> other party's 10G recording.
> >>
> > Bitrates. Although I only record SD over here in the UK, I normally
> get
> > 2.0-2.2 Gb/hour from recording off Freeview (YMMV). However,
> sometimes when
> > a feature film is shown the file sizes can vary enormously from this
> nominal
> > rate. It all depends what bitrate the film was originally encoded
> with, I
> > suspect. Some are much smaller, but don't appear to be of less
> quality. A
> > few are /much/ bigger (like double or more), but don't appear to be
> of much
> > greater quality.
> >

> I use a NovaT500 and I see wide variations on Freeview UK
> BBC1,2&3 - 2.7 to 3GB/Hour
> ITV1,2, Sky3, Channel4 - 1.3 to 1.5GB/Hour
> Dave, Virgin1, More4, E4, Five, FiveUSA, Fiver - 1.0 to 1.2 GB/Hour

This is not related to your "capture" card. This card doesn't touch the
signal at all.

All the channels just dynamically share the total available bandwidth
available inside a multiplex. When one channel increases its bitrate for
better quality during a feature film, for example, at least on other
channel in the multiplex will suffer and see its bitrate go down, and
its picture quality degrade.

Nico