[mythtv-users] Watching recordings on trip?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 21:04:45 UTC 2010

Update:  I have tried VLC and using Windows Media Player with the
Combined Community Codec Pack installed, but unfortunately they both
seem to have the same problem with my *.mpg files copied over to my
laptop from the MythTV frontend (after running mythrename.pl to get
human-understandable names).  In both cases, they start to play the
recordings for less than a second and either hop and skip through the
recording like a scratched up CD or lock up.  The only thing that
seems to work at this point is the Intervideo WinDVD player I started
with.

FWIW, the laptop in question is an HP zv6131us which has an Athlon 64
3200+, upgraded to 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon Express 200M video, and the
original 100GB (4200 rpm) disk drive.  I realize this is really long
in the tooth, bought in the summer of 2005, but I was hoping it could
handle playing videos.  Was I wrong?

In addition, while making environment disclosures, the MythTV
recordings are made from cable TV via Hauppauge PVR-500 which produces
*.mpg files directly to disk.

Any advice for how to get either VLC or WMP with CCCP to work would be
welcome, or should I just live with WinDVD until I upgrade the laptop?

Craig.