[mythtv-users] Dual display of Mythfrontend (different resolutions)?

Thomas Pontoppidan Spam1 at pontoppidan.name
Mon Apr 12 15:21:17 UTC 2010

I have been lucky to get my hands on a 1024X768 projector that I would like
to use occasionally for playing MythTV content (mostly recordings). My
"usual" display is a full HD TV.

I have used the projector with a (Windows) laptop, starting recordings from
Mythweb in VLC, but the solution is clumpsy; it's a mess with all the
hardware and cables,  I can't use my remote, bookmarks don't work etc.

So what I would like is to connect the projector permanently to the VGA
output of my MythTV box (combined backend/frontend with onboard Nvidia
Geforce 8200) and the TV to the HDMI output and just choose between the two
outputs by turning them on and off. I can easily set up the Nvidia display
settings to clone the display to both screens, but then I only get part of
the desktop on the projector.

Is there any way to get the (same) MythTV frontend session on two different
screens, in two different resolution? Of course I need full 1080p resolution
on the TV, so in the ideal world the projector should display a letterboxed,
shrunked version.