[mythtv-users] Yet another Fedora 12 lirc_serial question

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 13 05:28:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Nick Morrott
<knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 April 2010 15:41, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Doesn't the module configuration go in /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf and the
>>> actual modprobe command(s) for device modules (such as those for LIRC
>>> serial devices) that are not autodetected/loaded in
>>> /etc/sysconfig/modules/*.modules?
>>
>> So...this would go in /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf:
>>   options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
>>
>> and this would go in /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.module:
>>   install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;
>> /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial
>>
>> Is that what you mean?
>
> Almost - all of the lirc_serial lines you currently have go in
> /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf, including the install and --ignore-install
> lines (as these dicate what happens when the lirc_serial module is
> loaded). A simple `/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial` would go in
> /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules.

All the .modules files in there are simply run as shell scripts, so
you can actually make the script

----8<----
#!/bin/sh

/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial

and leave the module options line in /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf, or you
can even include them on the modprobe line in the shell script. I'd
probably leave them in the modprobe file though, so that you always
get those options set when modprobing (say, you unload the
kernel-provided lirc module to try out a newer one you've built
locally).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com