[mythtv-users] Yet another Fedora 12 lirc_serial question

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 13 05:35:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 12:42 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>
>> I've ensured that MythTV is using /var/run/lirc/lircd as the lirc device.
>>
>> This is my /etc/sysconfig/lirc file:
>> LIRCD_OPTIONS=""
>> LIRC_DRIVER=""
>> LIRC_DEVICE=""
>> ENABLE_LIRCMD="no"
>> LIRCMD_OPTIONS="
>>
> The lirc kernel modules uses different spots for things.
> You DO need to modprobe the actual drivers
> Try
> LIRCD_OPTIONS="-r"

This is the "send distinct release event" command switch to lircd.

> LIRC_DRIVER="devinput" # OR your driver here-"  Use lircd -H help for the
> list

All lirc_foo kernel drivers use the "default" driver.

> The device probably shows up as an input device: look in
> /dev/input/by-id/.... for something which matches what dmesg reports your
> unit as
> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/whatever

Only for linux input layer devices though. lirc_foo kernel drivers all
set up a /dev/lircX device node.

> Geoff
> (Everything I know about this, Jarod Wilson taught me)

My teaching could use some improvement. ;)

Nb: Real Soon Now, I'm going to start working on converting the mceusb
driver into an input layer driver... Well, actually, going to make it
a hybrid driver than can run as either a pure input layer driver or as
a native lirc device. We've just gotten rc5, rc5x and rc6 (as well as
nec and a few other) protocol decoders merged into the v4l-dvb git
tree, which I'm going to take advantage of to make the stock mce
remotes Just Work -- as well as adding support for the mce keyboard
(here's lookin' at you, jams!).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com