[mythtv-users] remote control

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Apr 13 13:59:55 UTC 2010

> Thank you very much for your help, but for me this is to complex
> I thought mythTV is some kind of server, which delivers a compatible
> video/audio stream to clients like PS3  they can understand without
> installing any software.
> It is not possible to install Linux on PS3 anymore, so for me it seems
> impossible to realize some kind of remote control with this type of
> frontend.
> And a PC near the TV is not what I want

To clarify further... MythTV is "Some kind of server".   More accurately, it
is several components that you can combine into a complete system.

Any MythTV setup requires a single "Master Backend" server that maintains
the database and handles all of the scheduling.  It can have one or more
Backends (can be just the master backend) that handle the actual recording
and store the videos.

A typical setup will have one or more frontend systems (can also double as a
backend, and even the master backend) that you will use to actually view the
recordings.  Often, a complete system resides on a single box acting as
Master backend and frontend all on the same machine.

A frontend system is not required at all... and it sounds like you do not
want one.  A common alternative to having a frontend is to use a UPNP
capable device (like your PS3) to playback content recorded by your
backend.  To schedule recordings you could use the MythWeb add-on that
allows you to control the backend via a very nice web interface.

I recommend that you setup a combined Master Backend/Frontend system.  You
needn't connect it to a TV, or even have it in a location where you will
actually watch content, as you can still use your PS3 to view the material
via it's built in UPNP player.  But having the frontend installed on your
server will allow you to at least see the differences between using UPNP and
using a full MythTV frontend.

So to summarize... MythTV is "some kind of server" application with various
options for viewing the content that it manages, and various options for
controlling the server.  A typical setup uses one or more optional
MythFrontend systems (may be on the same PC) to both view content and
control the backend. In your case, you will most likely use UPNP for viewing
content, and MythWeb for controlling the server since you do not wish to
have a PC in your viewing room.

Keep in mind that UPNP is an industry standard... it is not MythTV
specific... therefore it lacks many of the advanced features that a true
MythFronend system offers (such as commercial skipping, watching live tv,
and scheduling recordings on the same screen you use to watch content).
Though using a Mythtv & UPNP solution to record and playback TV, watch
ripped DVD movies, watch downloaded content, view photos, play music, watch
home videos, etc... is still an awesome solution and definitely worth
investing some time and effort on.