[mythtv-users] Samba issue (Sharing with Windows clients using mythlink.pl)

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Wed Apr 14 03:15:53 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

For a couple of months, I've been successfully playing back my
recorded content on some windows machines using mythlink.pl to create
links in a shared directory. Suddenly, in the last couple of days,
it's stopped working.

I'll detail the setup, since it's a tiny bit complex:

Recordings are stored on a NAS - accessible via Samba at //nas/mythtv
, and mounted on the backend at /media/mythtv

So far, so good - recordings work perfectly, and can be played back by
any MythTV frontend using the mythtv streaming protocol. They can also
be played back fine straight from the NAS.

I then run a User job to create human-readable links in /media/WinTV ,
which is shared via Samba at //server/WinTV

If I uses these links on the backend, they work perfectly. But if I
browse to the share, I get some weirdness. If I browse to the share
using the backend, it appears empty. If I browse there using another
machine (either windows or linux, the behaviour is the same) I can see
the "files" in the directory, but I can't open them - programs will
give some variation on "File does not exist" or "Access Denied".
Looking in Windows Explorer, I can see the filesize in the details
view, but not if I pull up the properties sheet.

Anyone got a clue what's going on? I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and trunk
builds of MythTV.

- Chris