[mythtv-users] New system configuration

Thomas Pontoppidan Spam1 at pontoppidan.name
Wed Apr 14 09:29:57 UTC 2010

2010/4/14 Kaare Rasmussen <kaare at jasonic.dk>

> Hi
>
> I want to set up a system with one central box and several distributed
> points.
>
> The central box might very well be based on
> - 1 ASRock Nettop ION 330 HTBD
> - 1 E30 Combo Plus DVB-T/C
>
> With several TV's you will probably want several tuners as well!

> So far so good. My real questions are related to the distributed stations.
> Can
> Mythtv handle this? I need
>
> - Several televisions in separate rooms, each their own channel selector

You will need one client per TV

> - Several music outlets, both from (internet) radio and stored CD's

Based on my own experience you won't be satisfied with MythTV as a music
player! I would suggest something like Squeezebox for that - the server can
run on your central box.

> - Not necessarily at the same location; possibility to route signals

> If possible, what do I need for each slave?

A pc capable of decoding and showing the recordings or a "thin client" of
some sort depending on requirements. If you go for pc's, you can run
diskless clients booting from your server or "normal" setup booting from
local disks.

P.S.: You might want to check out the Danish forum on www.mythtv.dk:-)