[mythtv-users] Hardware plans

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Apr 14 16:35:21 UTC 2010

Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> says:
> There's been suggestions on this list that for 1080i sports
> broadcasts (that's a pretty specific category, yes), the inability
> of Ion to do Advanced 2x deinterlacing is a problem.

I don't have a Revo, but I do use VDPAU's Temporal 2X filter with
1080i video and have never seen an issue with the quality of
deinterlacing in more than a year of daily use. This includes the
Olympics and American football.

I've never used the preset profiles, but perhaps affected Revo owners
are using the VDPAU Slim profile (which uses the VDPAU Bob 2X
deinterlacer with HD video) when they could (and should) be using
VDPAU Normal (Temporal 2X)? That said, Bob 2X should produce
good-quality results, too.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array