[mythtv-users] USB IR Blaster: close but no cigar

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Apr 15 00:29:48 UTC 2010

I picked up one of these as recommended by a number of people on this
list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121002

I got the remote to work, but I cannot get the blaster part of it to
work. I want to control a Comcast DTA box with it so that I can feed the
output of the Comcast DTA box to the PVR-500 card and record those
newly-encrypted channels (bastards!). But it all hinges on getting the
IR blaster to work.

I believe I have lircd configured properly. I recently compiled 0.8.6
from the tar file downloaded from lirc.org, and I am certain that I am
using the mceusb module that came with this (I made sure there were no
others in /lib/modules/`uname -r`).  I can send codes from the remote
that came with the DTA, and they are detected and reported correctly by
irw. So I tried this set of commands:

# irsend -d /dev/lircd SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
# irsend -d /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE ComcastDTA KEY_2

But nothing happens. I am sure I have the emitter close enough to the
receiver, but the receiver light does not flash. There is no visible
flash either when I look at the emitter (but should there be? the human
eye cannot see infrared).

Can someone provide some tips on how I can debug this? I am so close,
and yet so far )-:

--Greg