[mythtv-users] New system configuration

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Thu Apr 15 03:12:10 UTC 2010

> It's a DVR like any other, just an uncommonly flexible one. If you buy
> a Tivo, you can record from 2 different channels at once, because it
> has 2 tuners.

Actually with digital TV, each "channel" has multiple programs being
streamed at the same time, so 1 tuner (under mythtv) can record 3 or 4
programs, as long as they are coming from the same station!  2 tuners can
record 6 or 8 different programs at a time, but only from 2 different TV
stations.  SO Mythtv is a LOT better than a Tivo in this way (though the
Mythtv user interface isnt as polished and friendly as the Tivo- if Tivo
is 5 stars then mythtv gets 4, not bad at all).

You can also use XBMC as the front end to watch mythtv recordings- XBMC is
a very slick media centre, and gets 4.5 out of 5 as a user interface
because it handles music etc easier than Mythtv.  I use both, Mythtv for
most of the time, for special movies I record in HD (720p/1080i) I go into
XBMC as it does a better job of the audio and video quality for HD- no
difference for SD (576i/p). I also use XBMC for my audio and to play DVDs.

> Ah, now I start to understand (I think). One recorder is enough, as you
say.
> What I'm thinking about is that the tuner is connected to the server,
and that
> the server distributes the live signal from any channel to the frontend
that
> wants it. Don't know if that's

> a) Possible

Yes possible, though Live TV has always been a bit unreliable on Mythtv
for me.  It may be better on new versions.  YOu can always go the program
schedule though from a remote frontend, start a recording, wait a few
seconds (or 10 minutes if recording a commercial channel so you can skip
the commercials and slowly "catch up" to the live broadcast).  Then you
watch "live but delayed" which for me has been a  lot more reliable than
"actual live".

Mythtv is great!