[mythtv-users] HDMI capture card with linux drivers

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Fri Apr 16 00:49:04 UTC 2010

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
> > On 4/15/2010 16:44, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> >>
> >> Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  says:

> >>  . . . which immediately makes the device a nonstarter unless and
> >> until Nvidia sees fit to add MJPEG support to VDPAU. There's a
> reason
> >> the PVR Companion, whose makers also planned to incorporate MJPEG
> >> encoding into, never made it to the market.
> >>

> > Their software... meaning it has nothing to do with the hardware or
> the
> > drivers.  Besides which, I don't see how VDPAU factors into any of
> this.
> >  We're talking about difficulty in recording, while VDPAU exists for
> > playback only.
>
> And I think Yeechang meant that even if you can usefully record this
> device's HD MJPEG stream, unless you have some hardware assistance
> from the likes of vdpau, it's going to be a difficult task to get it
> onto your screen.

Actually if it's the software doing the MJPEG compression, that implies that
the output from the device is uncompressed video.  That would mean the only
problem you would have is finding enough hard drive space to put it, and
drives fast enough to keep up with real-time writing and reading
simultaneously.  The CPU wouldn't be the bottleneck, nor would the PCIe bus
or the video card.