[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Chua KianTeck chua_kianteck at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 04:52:45 UTC 2010

>My new chosen board (on order) is the Intel DP55KG with an i7. it apparently
>does the VT-d. Anyone else have this board for their Myth box?
>

>Will post here with results from the build.
>

>Regards
>
>Marty

How's your test coming along for the Intel DP55KG board?

My MythTV frontend + backend with a PVR-350 used to sit in the living room.  Recently, I build new frontend with the Zotac IONITX-F-E.  This new frontend now sits where the old setup was in the living room. And the frontend/backend box is moved to my home office.  The box is over 5 years old and I'm thinking of replacing it.

Since, my day job have me in contact with VMware ESX machines, I'm looking forward to build something similar as yours and virtualise my mythbackend (with PVR-350) and my NFS/Samba boxes to 1 physical box.

BTW, how much power consumption are we talking here with your new box?  I'm hoping to achieve something below 50W when it's idle.

Cheers
KianTeck