[mythtv-users] Quick survey regarding passthrough device settings

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Apr 20 07:36:46 UTC 2010

> Hi there...
>
> As I'm currently rewriting the audio code once again with
> foobum at gmail.com (adds supports for > 16 bits audio (E-AC3, TrueHD,
> LPCM etc) and various channel configurations (stereo, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1,
> 7.1)
>
> I am wondering on whether we actually need the passthrough device in
> the audio settings.
>
> On all my machines, it's always set as default, or the same physical
> device as what's used in the main audio device....
>
> So I'm interested to know from people who used it with a different
> value, why they did so and if they tried any different ways ...

Jean-Yves:
I'm SO glad you asked.

I'm running your latest (0.23-fixes) on Ubuntu 9.10; Q6600 CPU on an ASUS
P5K; this is a combined BE/FE.  I also have a Dell laptop upstairs which
works pretty well as a FE for use with the upstairs HDTV - also on Ubuntu
9.10 with your binaries.

I use the SPDIF output for all of my audio on this machine (the BE/FE).

Sound issues are pretty much the only remaining headache with respect to
Myth on this box.  I have to run alsamixer (and hit the "M" key four
times, then ESC out) after any reboot, or I have no sound in Myth.  I
sometimes have to do this before/after running MythMusic to get my sound
back.   Often, if I quit the Myth GUI to run avidemux to do video edits, I
need to run alsamixer again (again, pressing "M" 4x) to be sure I have
sound before restarting the Myth GUI.

OT (sort of): is there a way to do the same from the command line as
hitting the "M" key in alsamixer?  Maybe I need to kluge this into the
script I use to launch mythfrontend.  :-/

To answer your question, here are my settings:

Audio Output:  ALSA:spdif
Speakers: 5.1
Upconvert: Yes
Upmix: Best
Digital Output: ALSA:iec958:{AES0:0x06}  <-- (since 0.21; this is the only
setting that seemed to work - I admit that I haven't tried changing it for
quite a while).

Hope this helps.
If you ashcan the passthrough, what would the settings be for routing
sound to the spdif output?

> Thank you
> Jean-Yves

You're welcome, and thanks very much (again) for all of your work on the
Myth project.  It's appreciated!  :-)

Bob