[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

mugginz feed.mugginz at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 20 08:59:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 06:01:06 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 02:53 AM, mugginz wrote:
> >>
> >> And the best way to figure out just why it is like it is is for you to
> >> write a patch to "fix" the "bug" and then fix all the problems with your
> >> solution that are later brought to your attention.  We've never yet had
> >> anyone able to do so.  :)
> >>
> >> But also you should probably look into the "Browse all channels"
> >> setting.  It may be a Solution E (for some circumstances, anyway), and
> >> is probably close to the change you're thinking would solve all your
> >> problems.
> >
> > "And the best way to figure out just why it is like it is is for you to
> > write a patch to "fix" the "bug"
> >
> > This is exactly what I intend to do as there's no-one else that I'm aware
> > of interested in doing it at any point in the near future.
>
> Actually, there's another group working on the exact same thing.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/424710#424710 and
> rest of thread.
>
> Mike

This thread pretty well articulates the issues.

"That isn't what I want. If there is a tuner on the right mux and with a free
virtual tuner, then use it. Failing that, find a free tuner and tune it to the
right mux. Failing that, tell me I can't watch that channel. All PVRs I've met
do
pretty much exactly this. "

^^^^ This is a fairly good general description of what your layperson would
expect given they understand the limitations of, and more importantly, the
abilities of modern DVB-T tuners.

Very encouraging to see that the problem is well understood by some to the
extent that they're writing patches to rectify it.

I'll now see if I can get my hands of the patches being written for testing.