[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 09:18:55 UTC 2010

mugginz wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:39:50 am Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 04/19/2010 05:04 PM, mugginz wrote:
>>> Now I've also done this after reading the paragraph ending with
>>> "So, although you have 3 capture cards and could,
>>> therefore, tune 3 multiplexes, due to a combination of recording rule
>>> priorities and your "I love LiveTV"/"I don't want to press NEXTCARD"
>>> configuration, you've already exhausted the 3 capture cards and are
>>> wasting one by tuning the same mux that another was using. "
>>>
>>> 1. "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV and recordings" is already unchecked.
>>> 2. Delete all capture cards.
>>> 3. Add each card, one at a time, each with Max Tuners = 3
>>> 4. Connect inputs. Each card is now connected to the DigitalTV input.
>>>
>>> Now I start the FE, go into setup and enable "Avoid conflicts between
>>> LiveTV and recordings"
>>>
>>> 6. There were no recordings in progress or scheduled to be recorded at
>>> this stage.
>>> 7.  Begin watching LiveTV
>>>
>>> Now for the recording bit again.
>>>
>>> 8. Change to channel 7
>>> 9. Press 'R' to begin recording it.
>>> 10. Change to channel 9.
>>> 11 Press 'R' to begin recording it.
>>> 12. Press up arrow to go to channel 10 and press enter to make it the
>>> current channel.  MythTV refuses to change to 10, and instead goes back
>>> to channel 9 and at this point arrow keys only allow selecting channels
>>> from the channel 9 mux.
>> 13. Press whatever key you've bound to NEXTCARD.
>>
> That's what I'm getting at.  It appears that there's no way to get it to
> intelligently select a tuner by itself.

To emphasise the point: why should the wife/etc. know that the normal process of
up or down/find channel select suddenly changes under random circumstances to
require her to press a totally different key to allow her to select a channel?

She will probably not know (or care) at that point that all tuners are busy with
recordings. She's just going to ask: "Why do I have to do it this way sometimes
and this other way other times?"

--

Mike Perkins