[mythtv-users] Executing Scripts, etc - irexec/osd vs. Theme entries

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 10:52:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM,  <glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Wayne Thomas <waynethomas69 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> directly,
>> for

>> just

>> > One con of using theme menus is that you have to quit out of what ever
>> > you are watching/listening to (back into the menu screen) in order to
>> > execute the script.  Using irexec means you can do whatever you want
>> > without disrupting your current entertainment.
>>
>> Yeah, *most* of the time, I will not be running these while watching
>> media though, so using the OSD for feedback may not work.  (I have not
>> dug deep enough to know yet)
>>
>> I guess for quickness, I will implement it with irexec and later today
>> start digging.
>>
>> Thanks for the input.
>>
>> -Greg
>>
>> > I queried a while back about the ability (or not) to insert menu
>> > selections into the Internal player for exactly this reason but never
>> > received a reply.  I presume this is because it is far too difficult
>> > to do.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Wayne
>
> I got a Logitech Harmony remote on the weekend and I decided I wanted to use IREXEC to make the system switch off immediately.
> The remote attempts to switch all devices off when you press the power button but with the frontend you still need to select exit or exit&shutdown (in my preferred setup).
> I was planning to use irexec to run a "shutdown now" but it occurred to me that mythbuntu already has a script for this...
>         /usr/share/mythtv/myth-halt.sh
> ...all I had to do was put in the following
>
>    begin
>        prog            = irexec
>        remote  = ANTEC_VERIS_RM200
>        button  = KEY_POWER
>        repeat  = 0
>        config  = /usr/share/mythtv/myth-halt.sh &
>    end
>
> ...then I restarted my session and pressed the power button and no matter what screen I was in the system would shutdown. However if I wanted to exit to the desktop I could just use the normal ESC method.
>
> PS: I put the '&' at the end of the line because I saw it in other examples of executing .sh files. I'm not sure if it is needed but since it worked I didn't bother changing.
>
> PPS: I have noticed that sometimes my Logitech remote doesn't respond on the first press and hence I end up with my AMP and TV off but my PC still on. I'm planning to tweak the settings to perhaps allow some repeats of the KEY_POWER button to try and ensure the signal gets through.

I have several remotes (liking my Pronot TSUs the best, but they are
bulky), but the Logitechs have one major flaw.  If they are going to
sleep while you press a button, they do not transmit.  You have to
wait for them to "turn off", and then they will work again.  This
drove me mad.  Also, not being able to turn the backlight completely
off.

I queried their support several times trying to get a firmware change,
but no dice.  I ended up just setting the timeout for 30 minutes.  It
drains the battery, but I rarely hit the button while it is sleeping
now - vs the 5/10 seconds I had it set to before..

Just an FYI..

-Greg