[mythtv-users] Enabling multirec borks usability a bit.

mugginz feed.mugginz at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 20 15:54:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:05:43 am Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Jos Hoekstra wrote:
> > Paul Gardiner schreef op 20-4-2010 15:55:
> >> I'm a strong advocate of Live TV being useful, but I don't get your
> >> point. Is there any other DVR system with multirec? All other DVRs
> >> have the property
> >>
> >>     Num recordings = num tuners  implies  No Live tv.
> >>
> >> Whereas MythTV has
> >>
> >>     Num recordings = num tuners  implies  Live Tv gets awkward
> >>
> >> BTW, thanks to whoever explained the tuner set up with physical
> >> tuners first. I'd never heard of that before. Will fix my
> >> system, as soon as I get a chance.
> >>
> >> Paul.
> >
> > For a user it doesn't matter how many tuners there actually are. The
> > only important thing is how many channels can it record/will it let me
> > watch, average user expects both numbers to be the same....
>
> But you can get that by turning off multirec. It will then behave just
> like any other DVR (in that respect) for a given number of tuners. All
> I'm saying is I wouldn't understand someone avoiding MythTv because of
> this issue, when they could just avoid mutirec, and get all the other
> advantages that MythTV gives.
>
> ... not that I wouldn't be pleased if it was fixed.
>
> Paul.

Some PVRs do support multirec, though they're usually expensive ones
unfortunately.

You are correct however, turning off multirec is the one absolute way without
the forthcomming patches to step around the issue.  Then, if someone has the
money, they can buy as many USB tuners as they can afford and fix the issue with
brute force.